Swap My Vote helps voters make their vote count under the wildly iniquitous ‘First Past the Post’ electoral system. They can vote with their head, and their heart.
Voters use the site to find a voting partner with complementary tactical voting preferences, so that each can have a vote cast for ‘their’ preferred party, where it could count for more.
In the UK’s 2015, 2017, and now 2019 general elections, the site has helped thousands of voters find a voting partner, provided voters unhappy with the electoral system with a practical action they can take during the election, and, most importantly, reignited the debate around proportional voting systems.
- Read a useful introduction to vote swapping – either
- This piece in the i paper or this beginners’ guide (or some of the press below).
- It’s an amazing thing to see voting partners discussing casting their votes on polling day
- We’ve run analysis of how people swap their votes
- We released an API so that tactical and voting recommendation sites can build in front of the platform.
- We’ve made significant upgrades to the platform for #GE2019
- And this is how we started.